28/09/2014

Sarlat-la-Canéda




During my short-lived holiday, I flew to France again to visit my parents for a week. We took a road trip to an old town named Sarlat-la-Canéda.

Sarlat has preserved the essence of a rustic old town. The abundance of French windows and vines on houses made me fall right in love. I believe all the cobblestone buildings go way back. There are also many châteaux in the area – castles that existed way before we were born. At the foot of these castles were villages previously inhabited by villagers. Now that kings and queens cease to exist, the villages have turned into homes and souvenir shops. This town had the smallest roads. My dad's giant monster of a car could barely fit through some of the lanes.







Lamb kebab with couscous and beans
God do I bleeping love couscous

Beef kebab with a tomato salad and excessive amounts of pomme frites

Duck confit (not for the weak-hearted), canard salad and pomme frites 

Chestnut cake

Lemon curd in deep-fried pasta, with a raspberry sorbet
that knocked the entire dessert out of the park 



After a satisfying lunch, we proceeded to conquer the Château de Beynac. At this time, I was still battling my two week long cough and all that climbing had me wheezing non-stop. Below are the pictures of the view atop the castle!

Château de Beynac




It's so ugly, yet beautiful in it's own kind of way.





We headed into the Centre of Sarlat, which is essentially a town square, where we sat down and had some crêpe and ice-cream. There's not much shopping to do except for souvenirs and food. They seem to take their foie gras and truffles pretty seriously.




The following day, we drove around to many random places. So my pictures are just a collection of random sights.





I LOVE FRENCH WINDOWS


Free feather dusters! Keeds... hehe

Peach tree! Tried to pick some but we were too short.






We stopped randomly by the riverside to have lunch. I didn't catch the restaurant's name but the food was one of the best I've had in France, considering the price we paid... The food was so good that we even returned for dinner. I didn't snap any pictures of lunch but I did for dinner (coming up soon).









Since my mom was obsessed with the Dordogne river, we decided to take a river cruise. It was scorching hot... European sun is not to be messed with. Below are some sights that can be seen onboard the cruise.











On the way to dinner, we saw a hot air balloon! My sister and I were so fascinated, cause suaku never see before mah. 





Like I said above, we went back to the riverside place for dinner!

My new fave

I had a hamburger steak for lunch, so I decided to have a real hamburger for dinner.

Duck confit

Canard salad

The next day, I bugged my parents to bring me to Jardin de Marqueyssac because I love gardens with labyrinth-esque landscaping.









My mom complaining that her butt's too big for the swing lol

Is this painting of a unicorn creepy or what?


Taking a buggy back to the entrance because French gardens are too bleeping huge

Care to dine with a view?






That was our last stop in Sarlat. We started heading back home, with intentions of stopping by St-Émilion to check out their wineries and vineyards.

The white specks on the river are actually swans!
They were so beautiful in real life.
 




Lunch was at a random pizza takeout place that served freshly baked pizza in a million different flavours. Chorizo is my fave!











We finally made it to St-Émilion after getting lost a few hundred times! This town is famous for their wine, which I know nothing about. So I just tagged along and snapped pictures.







Vineyards







Finally made it back home! We ate out for my dad's early birthday dinner.

Best carbonara ever! You will never be able to find this in Singapore.


And finally it was time for me to head home alone. It was a nightmare dealing with the rude ass French at Bordeaux airport and a torturous 13 hour flight home from Paris. Then I dealt with jet lag for about 2 weeks. No biggie.

Toodles, tutorial time.